Rerum Novarum (On Capital and Labor)
Pope Leo XIII – May 15, 1891
Pope Paul VI – May 14, 1971 – the 80th anniversary of Rerum Novarum
- Quadragesimo Anno (After Forty Years) – On Reconstruction of the Social Order
Pope Pius XI – May 15, 1931 – the 40th anniversary of Rerum Novarum
- Mater et Magistra (On Christianity and Social Progress)
Pope John XXIII – May 15, 1961 – the 60th anniversary of Rerum Novarum
- Pacem in Terris (Peace on Earth)
Pope John XXIII – April 11, 1963 – on Establishing Universal Peace in Truth, Justice, Charity, and Liberty
- Populorum Progressio (On the Development of Peoples)
Pope Paul VI – March 27, 1967
- Laborem Exercens (On Human Work)
Pope John Paul II – September 14, 1981 – the 90th anniversary of Rerum Novarum
- Sollicitudo Rei Socialis (20th Anniversary of Populorum Progressio)
Pope John Paul II – December 30, 1987
- Centesimus Annus (The Hundredth Year)
Pope John Paul II – May 1, 1991 – the 100th anniversary of Rerum Novarum
- Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life)
Pope John Paul II – March 25, 1995
- Fides et Ratio (Faith and Reason)
Pope John Paul II – September 14, 1998
- Deus Caritas Est (God Is Love)
Pope Benedict XVI – December 15, 2005
- Caritas in Veritate (Charity in Truth)
Pope Benedict XVI – June 29, 2009
- Laudato Si’ (On Care for Our Common Home)
Pope Francis – May 24, 2015
Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church
Online version of the book listed elsewhere on this page or this guide.
The Social Agenda: A Collection of Roman Catholic Magisterial Texts
Online version of the book listed elsewhere on this page.
USCCB – Justice, Peace, and Human Development
Documents and links provided by the United States Catholic Conference of Bishops web site to Catholic Social Teaching sanctioned engagement resources.
USCCB Social Justice Documents
- Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship: A Call to Political Responsibility from the Catholic Bishops of the United States
Published in February 2020. Available in English and Spanish.
- A Call to Solidarity with Africa
Statement issued November 14, 2001.
- Global Climate Change: A Plea for Dialogue, Prudence, and the Common Good
Statement issued June 15, 2001.
- Responsibility, Rehabilitation, and Restoration: A Catholic Perspective on Crime and Criminal Justice
Statement issued November 15, 2000.
- Sharing Catholic Social Teaching: Challenges and Directions
- Brothers and Sisters to Us: US Catholic Bishops Pastoral Letter on Racism, 1979
- A Decade After “Economic Justice for All”: Continuing Principles, Changing Context, New Challenges
A Pastoral Message of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops on the Tenth Anniversary of the Economic Pastoral, November 1995
- The Harvest of Justice is Sown in Peace
A Reflection of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops on the Tenth Anniversary of The Challenge of Peace, issued November 17, 1993.
- The Challenge of Peace: God’s Promise and Our Response
A Pastoral Letter on War and Peace by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops, issued May 3, 1983.
Pope Francis – November 24, 2013 – Apostolic Exhortation on the Proclamation of the Gospel in Today’s World